Sunday, September 26, 2004

Why I teach...

Let me tell you why I became a teacher.

Like all kids I toyed with all sorts of ideas of 'what I should be when I grow up'. You will too, I'm sure. I thought about being a veterinarian, because I've always loved animals. I thought about being a writer since I've always loved to read and to write. It wasn't until I got to junior high school that my career choice was really determined. It was in my 8th grade band class that I met a woman who would become one of the most influential in my life - Ms. Kathy Weir. She was our new band director, after Mr. Wilkins moved over to the high school. He too would become a mentor and role model for me, but it was Ms. Weir who showed me the power of being a teacher.

As a small young girl, playing the trombone was a bit more difficult than it was for others. I sat seventh chair in band and didn't really expect to get much better. But Ms. Weir immediately took an interest in me, and began challenging me to be better. She pushed me to play with confidence, and to expect great things of myself. She also showed me how to become a stronger, more confident young woman. I became more outgoing that school year. I began to make more friends, and develop the personality that would characterize who I am today.

Even at such a young age, I realized what an amazing transformation one person had in my life. I wanted to be that kind of catalyst in the life of someone else. And so I began a track to become a teacher. It wouldn't be the most profitable career, as my father continues to remind me, nor would it always be the easiest, but it has been the most rewarding, and every now and then I get the opportunity to be a life-changer for one of my students too.

So when you choose your career someday, do what will make a difference. Material wealth is temporary - being a life-changer is immortality.

No comments: