Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Saying no...

I read an article in Newsweek today which was talking about how hard it is for my generation of parents to say "no" to our children. I realize to some degree I'm a product of a materialistic society that seldom says "no" to anything. It is difficult sometimes to find the balance between our 'have-everything' society and the important lessons of life that only waiting, saving, and working hard can teach us. I want you to grow up with a strong work ethic so you can be self-reliant and not make some of the mistakes of materialism that I have made. I want you to learn the values of industriousness, delayed gratification, honesty, and compassion.

What does that mean for you? Sometimes I will have to tell you "no." I will be you parent first, before I am your friend. I will make sure you are learning resourcefulness and responsibility before I make sure you are having fun. I want to help you wade through the waves of marketing that will be aimed directly at you by the media so you don't become some sort of 'wanting machine' - never satisfied with the things you are given, always wanting something more.

I don't want you to grow up with a distorted sense of entitlement because you have been given too much, too soon, with too little required to get it. Life is full of disappointments and I know you have to learn to adapt and deal with disappointment before you reach adulthood; it will be too late to learn it then. I realize a lot of my own self-centeredness and self-absorption is a direct product of this lack of exposure to disappointment. I know I will love you so much that I will have every good intention in wanting to give you the best of everything. It will hurt me anytime you feel lack. But the end result must be considered too.

So for all the times I say "no" and make you cry or pout....For all the times I become the "meanest mother in the world" and don't give you everything your friends have - forgive me and know I want you to become a better person than I am today.

No comments: