Tuesday, September 28, 2004

The Still Point

T.S. Eliot speaks of "... the still point of the turning world..." As I considered what this means for my own life, I realized very quickly that the still point in my turning world is your daddy, my love, David Bryan.

There are so many inconsistencies in my life -- work can be a roller coaster, and I never know from one day to the next what my day will be like, how my students will behave, or if I'll even accomplish anything. Church is sometimes a refuge, and sometimes it is the source of all my stress. Friendships are sometimes uplifting and inspiring, and other times they leave me lonely. Even my relationship with God has ups and downs -- not because He is inconsistent, but because I am.

When I am with David everything feels safe. I know him, I know how he reacts, how he feels, what moves him, and he knows me...better than I know myself sometimes. Even if we are angry at each other over some triviality or another, I feel secure knowing he is there, and that this momentary quarrel cannot tear us apart. When I'm down, he cheers me up with his sweet gestures or silly ways. When I'm happy, he's happy with me. He wants to be with me...all the time! Even when my independent streak gets the better of me and I want to venture out and do things on my own, he still wants to be with me, even then. Even when I'm in pain and not the nicest person to be around, he still wants to be with me. I guess there's still enough of the shy, self-conscious little girl left in me to think that's an amazing concept.

I hope you grow up to be like your daddy and be the "still point" in someone else's life. I also hope you find that person for yourself.

No comments: