Monday, September 20, 2004

What's in a name?

Naming you...that was the discussion this weekend. For some reason your Daddy and I talked about girl names the entire time, I guess because we both agree on 'Judah David' if you are a boy. That means "Praise for the Beloved" which is so fitting - I know I will have so much praise for my Beloved Savior when you are born.

As for girl names, we've toyed around quite a few possibilites.
Petra Elizabeth........Aurora Sky.......Emily Grace........Jennifer Elizabeth........
My favorite is Emily Grace, but your Daddy doesn't like that very much. His favorite is Jennifer Elizabeth, but I'm not fond of that one. We both like Petra and we both like Sky. I wonder if our indecision is a reflection of what gender you will be!

So what's in a name?

I know what its like to have everyone mispronounce your name constantly. It's more challenging than most people realize when your first name is Dacia but it is pronounced Day-sha. Especially during the school years; my teachers tried hard but never could get it quite right on the first day of school. And it seems the more unusual the name, the easier it is for school bullies to turn it into some form of teasing torture that leaves you in tears on the playground. So I am determined not to name you something that sounds nothing like it is spelled.

At the same time, I appreciate the pride that comes in having an unusal name. With maturity I have come to appreciate my unique name, accept the complements and surprise that accompany it graciously, and realize that it is an accurate representation of my own unique nature. I don't want you to blend into a sea of Amy's, Jennifer's, Joshua's, or Brandon's. You will be one of a kind, and I want your name to reflect that. No matter what we decide to name you, you can be assured it was a tough decision and one made with much prayer, love, and thoughtful consideration.

No comments: