Tuesday, February 15, 2005

The Temptations of Fisher Price

What a good baby you are already! *grin* Well, at least you haven't made me sick at all, and for that I am very thankful. My mom has decided she wants you to call her 'Grammy'...I guess since she bought you your first baby blanket she figures she has first-dibs on grandmother names.

Your daddy and I have been looking at strollers and cribs and all sorts of baby toys and equipment all week. It is fascinating how many things exist now for babies that didn't exist when we were little. Like exersaucers for example; we used to have walkers which looked a lot like exersaucers except they had wheels on them and the baby could scoot around the house while they developed their leg strength and coordination. I don't really know why they phased walkers out; someone said they heard they were dangerous. Of course, lots of things become dangerous with passing generations that previous generations didn't give a second thought. Another interesting invention we looked at was called a Bopppy. This is apparently a pillow that can be used to support the baby when the mother is feeding or to help the baby learn how to sit up. I guess our parents were terribly deprived since they had to rely on pure arm strength and propped us up against pillows when we were learning to sit up.

I guess on reflection, there are many things that I will want you to have because I want you to have the best of everything. But at the same time, if you don't have every new contraption or invention designed to speed your development, that won't mean you won't grow up to be just as happy, healthy, and intelligent as anyone else. Its good to have perspective - especially when you walk down isle after isle of muticolored Fisher-Price gadgets at Toys R' Us. :-)

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Get a boppy. I went without one for a while but then my mother in law got me one and it really does help.