Saturday, August 22, 2009

A Different Experience

I found out from a friend last night that the state has changed the rules this year concerning the cutoff date for children starting school. For many years the date was in fact your birthday - October 15. This year, they changed the date to August 25. So just because of this change, you won't be able to start pre-K this year. Not only that, but when you start kindergarten you will be nearly six years old.

What's the big deal? Basically, I think you are ready now. I started kindergarten when I was 4 (back in the days before there was a such thing as pre-K) and under the current rules, I wouldn't have been able to do so. I guess I had just always assumed you would follow in my footsteps in this respect. I graduated at 17; you will be nearly 19. I was one of the youngest kids in my classes, you'll be one of the oldest.

How will this affect you? I'm really not sure. Will elementary school be a little easier because you will be more emotionally mature? Will you get bored because you are intellectually ahead of some other kids? When you become a teen, will the comparative immaturity of guys in your grade lead you to wait on dating until college (I can always hope!) or will you want to date a senior when you're a sophomore? (YIKES)

I don't know. I can only pray that the differences between your school experience and mine are only positive ones. Mommy probably is just worrying about something you'll never give a second thought about, and really...that will be just fine.

No comments: