Friday, October 01, 2004

Frightening Old Ideas

John Cage once said, "I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." There are a lot of old ideas that frighten me in their tenacity to cling to life.

Racism frightens me. That people can be stereotyped by the amount of melanin in their skin, irregardless of their background, upbringing, education, or personality is simply scary. Don't ever allow yourself to slip into that kind of ignorance of thought.

Inflexible traditionalism frightens me. God is constantly doing a new thing...He is able to meet the needs and culture of every generation. I recently heard someone who I considered a strong Christian parent say of a Christian rap song we were playing at a youth event, "I don't hear any God in that, and I don't believe God is pleased with it." It shocked me. As long as the Gospel is not diluted or altered, it should not matter the means by which it is transmitted. Style of music, style of service, or who is the vessel delivering it are all irrelevant to God. Always be open to the moving of God's Spirit, no matter how old or how new the method He employs.


No comments: